[Education] EMCast

amalmattu at comcast.net amalmattu at comcast.net
Tue Mar 6 20:22:53 EST 2012

Topics for this month:
1. Dr. Ellen Lemkin discusses a recent article pertaining to steroid treatment of Bell's Palsy. Is it useful at all? How useful? And what the heck is synkinesis?
2. Dr. Priya Kuppussamy discusses an evidence-based review of septic arthritis . Should we be getting fluid lactate levels? [Is lactate the new WBC of this decade??]
3. Dr. Emilie Cobert reviews two recent must-know articles in the risk management literature pertaining to assessment of competency and also strategies for defending yourself if you ever get stuck with a lawsuit .
4. A final discussion of a great article pertaining to infections in the elderly.

EM Cast....listen, learn, save a life!

Also, a few reminders regarding opportunities for further education:
1. One of the best conferences in emergency medicine is rapidly approaching....Las Vegas at the Wynn at the end of April. www.resuscitation-conference.com
It will be bigger than ever before, with legendary speakers Corey Slovis, Jim Roberts, Rich Cantor, and many others. Workshops are already closing...don't delay!

2. Free EKG cases of the week tutorials at www.ekg.umem.org

3. October 29-30 will be our next Crashing Patient conference . Save the date!
October 29 will be afternoon workshops...cadaver-lab based procedures, airway, EKGs, ultrasound, etc. etc.; then October 30 didactics focused on high-risk topics and how to avoid lawsuits!
www.TheCrashingPatient.com
(2012 schedule not yet posted)

Thanks everyone.
Amal