Born and raised in the frozen tundra that is Madawaska Maine (if you never heard of it, you should check it out on a map!). There I fully enjoyed the benefits of living on the Canadian border (can you say 18 years old instead of 21!).
Attended college at Wheaton College in Mass. for a year than transferred to the University of Maine where I studied zoology and psychology and beer pong and played rugby.
On a more personal level I am a huge fitness/sports enthusiast...and if I am not at work I am probably running, lifting weights, or playing basketball or volleyball. And now finally the new fitness center has opened here at Maryland and it is AWESOME!
I love to travel and have been to Europe, Honduras, Mexico Ecuador and China...I am definitely looking forward to some international medicine during residency especially because the international program is really taking off here at UMaryland. Plus I am learning Espanol during my free time.
Skills I have acquired/am acquiring since being coming a resident
1) How to do pelvic exams in less than 30 sec
2) How to convince every Veteran they need a DRE (because every single one of them does need one!)
3) Ordering blood cultures and vanc/zosyn before we even register that pt from USH (you'll see what I mean)
4) how to hold my bladder for over 13 hours straight and how to scarf down a sandwich so fast that I do not even know if it was peanut butter and jelly or tuna.
5) and of course...how to be a great ER doc...which makes it all worth it!!
If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
To all the EM applicants....good luck!!!