Johns Hopkins University
Thanks for checking us out at the University of Maryland - one of the best emergency medicine programs ever!
Some rapid-fire thoughts ...
1. Why UMEM?
- EXCEPTIONAL TEACHING: you get to work alongside some of the best faculty in the country ... these gents and ladies known nationally and internationally for their lectures. Sure they do research too, but educating residents is the center point of the residency.
- EXCEPTIONAL EXPOSURE: it's Baltimore. It's a city in need of significant reforms that for better or worse creates populations in need of frequent emergency care
- DIVERSITY: have you seen my classmates? We come from all over, with everyone bring unique backgrounds to the table.
2. Why Baltimore?
- CHARM CITY: ignore "The Wire" and Fox News. Did you know that "House of Cards" is filled here? This city has so much to offer and is a fantastic place to live.
- ESCAPE IS EASY: it may seem like a weird thing to advertise, but it's really easy to get out of Baltimore on those free weekends. Washington DC is only 45 mins, NYC is like 3 hours, BWI airport is only 15 mins away and a Southwest Airlines hub.
3. Other random thoughts
- ABOUT THOSE SHIFTS: UMEM does 12-hr shifts. If you've never done one before, it's an adjustment. But it allows you to accomplish a lot each day while leaving time for teaching. Plus you get more days off each month that way