- Cardiac Sarcoidosis (CS) is reported to involve ~2-5% of patients with systemic sarcoidosis. An increasing proportion of patients are presenting with isolated CS.
- Isolated CS is associated with a higher female predominance; severe LV involvement, heart failure, and poor prognosis.
- Manifestations range from symptomatic conduction disturbances, dysrhythmias, progressive heart failure, and silent myocardial granulomas - leading to sudden cardiac death.
- CS is a serious condition with a quoted 5-year survival ~60-75%.
- Corticosteroid therapy is considered cornerstone in management, but evidence is largely observational and no randomized trials have been performed to date.
Kandolin R, Lehtonen J, et al. Cardiac Sarcoidosis. Circulation 131 (7) Feb. 2015.