Keywords: Foreign Body, Button Battery, Heliox, Respiratory Distress (PubMed Search)
• No object should be left in the esophagus for >24 hrs
• Unusual FB’s:
==> Very Sharp or pointed objects may perforate the GI tract and should be removed endoscopically.
==> Long objects (>6cm) or wide (>2cm) objects may not pass and should be remove endoscopically.
• Button Batteries
==> 9% of cases involve more than one battery (x-ray mouth to anus)
(1) Heavy metal leakage (Mercury) – low risk but real
(2) Electrical Discharge (Local tissue injury)
(3) Pressure Necrosis
(4) Leakage of Corrosives
==> 85% Pass without symptoms
(1) No intervention if pass the esophagus and pt is without symptoms
• Consider Heliox as a temporizing measure in children with respiratory distress, while awaiting endoscopy/bronchoscopy.